California has a lot of missing money just waiting to be claimed. You may be one of the millions of Californians and money by the state you just have look for it. This missing money in California is a result of lost bank accounts or pensions where the rightful owner as either forgotten about it or they do not realize the money is available. All the rightful owner has to do to came this missing money is to claim it through the California’s unclaimed property website. Currently there is over 1.6 billion in unclaimed property contained in California’s coffers.
This is not money that is due the state. Its just waiting for your to claim your share. Of course you have to actually prove that you are the person who is due the money, but if it is yours to claim then that should not be very difficult as the money has your name on it.
The most common types of Unclaimed Property in California are:
- Bank accounts or safe deposit box contents, which may contain jewels, cash or other valuables.
- Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and dividends due to a person from investor accounts that where forgotten about. These normally are a result of a death of a relative where if you can prove you are related and the rightful beneficiary then you can obtain these. This could be worth millions of dollars if the stocks have been lost for a number of years.
- Un-cashed cashier’s checks or money orders where they where ordered but never executed and presented back to the bank
- Certificates of deposit
- Matured or terminated insurance policies
- Mineral interests and royalty payments, trust funds, and escrow accounts.
California law forces banks and other financial institutions to report these unclaimed funds on their books and they turn it over to the States unclaimed property office. This is pretty much the same for any state and most work in similar manners. You just need to claim it. To find out if you have unclaimed money, first got to the unclaimed property website for California and start a search. Use search for you name and any close relatives you have. This is a good start and will tell you if you have any unclaimed cash waiting. Its also advisable to just search on your last name or any other sir names of your family. A lot of times this can clue you into unclaimed money which may be a result of unclaimed inheritance or estates where the person did not leave a will. This happens a lot more than you would think and you may be able to find million of dollars owed you with just a few steps. There are billions in missing money in California.